Friday, September 2, 2011

Project 3: Paper Mache basics.

These are the basic steps for any paper mache craft. There are TONS of things you can do with paper mache. And it's made with things around the house. A wonderful project for parents on a budget.

Cost: Free
Prep time: less then 5 minutes
Play time: about 10-20 messy minutes.

Materials:
Flour
Water
White school glue
Newspaper
You also need a bowl and mixer.


I craft like I cook. Without measuring. So I don't have a great recipe for the goop. I throw in some flour, then add water until it's a creamy consistency. Then I add in a couple swirls of glue.


Sometimes there's still clumps. Which little fingers are perfect for. My son loved squishing them.

Cut or tear strips of newspaper. Dip them in the goop, and run your fingers down the sides. This helps cut down on the extra goop, and the drying time.

Lay the strips on whatever you use for a mold. Make sure they overlap. You want 2-4 even layers. I used a cake pan. I just turned it upside down. It makes a great half circle.
This will take 5 hours to 2 days to dry.



Tips: Make sure you put something under your work area. This is washable, but it's not an easy clean up.
You can place plastic wrap over your mold to make an easier cleaner removal.

No comments:

Post a Comment